Going from ABS to PLA and vice versa...

talk about anything

Going from ABS to PLA and vice versa...

Postby Chris.e » Mon May 23, 2011 6:22 am

Hi!
With all new printer features in the new rom/software, what advice and experience do you have when starting to print PLA? Do you change nozzles? Otherwise I guess it would be stuck with old ABS in it if it only reaches 200c?
And do you experience a big difference between different PLA compositions, as between ABS and ABS?
Educate me! :)
Chris.e

Re: Going from ABS to PLA and vice versa...

Postby Marcus » Mon May 23, 2011 9:27 am

My guess would be to feed it PLA while still in ABS "Mode", even though it is too hot, then feed some through untill there is just PLA left, so the nozzle will not block when chaning the temperature (PLA Mode)? Or better yet, clean it with Acetone.
Marcus

Postby Chris.e » Mon May 23, 2011 2:57 pm

Sounds wise...
Chris.e

Postby Marcus » Mon May 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Perhaps pp3dp should clearify that in the manual soon, or is it in it allready? Any dialog when choosing material mode? Still running the old version :-)
Marcus

Postby DrewPetitclerc » Wed May 25, 2011 5:17 am

I've shot PLA several times now, when I'm shooting ABS I go to the Print Preview and I change the material to PLA, let it do a preview then go to Maintenance and retract load and then extrude, there never seems to be any problem clearing the ABS even at 100c, when I want to switch back, I use the same procedure, Print Preview to change to ABS then retract and load and extrude
The only issue I've had is the PLA does not cool fast enough to keep its shape, it acts like melted hard candy and deforms and warps easily, I think I now see why some users of "MakerBots" and "Mendels" add cooling fans and nozzles to their machines, I may need to look into this also.
The other issue I've had is it is impossible to remove raft and supports in a reasonable way as they are melted into the part, this may also be helped by a cooling system.
I've used "MakerGear" Silver PLA and "MakerBot" Natural PLA, I will wait to see if there will be any software changes from PP3DP to help us to use PLA when they start offering it to buy, hopefully they are tweaking the numbers to make this work better.
DrewPetitclerc

Postby trebuchet03 » Wed May 25, 2011 5:54 am

I, personally, change nozzles. I've got one nozzle for ABS and another for PLA.

I also use the nozzle swap as a good opportunity to hand ream the nozzle to clean out gunk that's stuck on the side walls.
Engineer - Mechanical, Mechatronic, Reliability, Etcetera
One Offer
Mass Producer
trebuchet03

Return to General